Thursday 9 January 2014

Short Story: For Him, For the World


So I wrote this short story this morning after seeing this picture that someone had made from two illustrations by the extremely talented Hayden Williams. The picture pretty much sums up the theme. Enjoy and see you on the flipside!
____________________________________________________________________________
I opened my eyes and waited for them to adjust to the semi-darkness of the room, I could still feel his arm wrapped loosely around my waist. I wriggled to free myself from his warm embrace, careful not to wake him; he was fast asleep, snoring softly. His face was the picture of perfect peace, if you saw him now you could not tell of the activities of last night. Of how he kissed and caressed my body into sweet oblivion before taking me fully and making us one again and again. Don’t think that he did all the work though, I giggle inwardly as I look around the floor, random pieces of lingerie strewn around the room and the tell-tale chair of a lap dance still sitting awkwardly in the middle of the room. I pick up his baby blue shirt and put it on, doing up only the middle button and head to the bathroom to freshen up. It’s only 6.30 a.m. and the day ahead is a gruelling one.

As I finish brushing my teeth I hear the sound of the maid quietly leaving the morning coffee and newspaper outside our bedroom door. Maria was one of the best maids in the house; she was never late with the coffee or the paper. I wheel in the morning cart and get back into bed next to my husband. It still tickles me to refer to him as my husband, even though we’ve now been married for two years. His arm automatically finds me and draws me in closer to his warm body so that we are lying back to chest. “Good morning my darling” he whispers in a voice still thick with sleep, his warm breath tickling my neck. I turn around and kiss him good morning, letting the butterflies in the pit of my stomach run wild as I remember the events of last night once again. “You’re wearing my shirt I see, let’s get this off so you can go and shower” he says as he kisses me again and undoes the buttons with one hand. I resist weakly and even though my mind knows we have less than 90 minutes to be ready and picture perfect, my body doesn’t care. I run my fingers across his face and down his chest and hear his breath quicken as I roll him on to his back and sit on him with my knees on either side.

I kiss him from his neck down to his belly button before sliding off him and grabbing my dressing gown from a nearby chair. “You, sir, need to shave and drink your coffee before it gets cold” I say “It’s only t minus 67 minutes until your speech to the farmers of this great city and I need to prepare to speak to their wives and children.” I feel rather than hear him groan inwardly as he pulls himself up into a seated position and locks eyes with me. His eyes as dark as the milky coffee he now holds in his hands, and once again I feel rather than hear him say how much he loves me. I hope he feels me back as I break the gaze with a soft laugh and head to the guest bedroom down the hall to get ready. No time to share our bathroom now, plus the tension in the room is palpable.

After I shower Grace, my personal assistant, is fawning over me in the most ridiculous fashion; making sure my skirt is straight and my shoes are polished and my unruly hair is pulled back, while rattling on about all the things I need to remember and the people that are most important in the community. It’s now t minus 22 minutes till we have to be at the community hall where my husband and I will attempt to woo the farmers into giving us their votes. I head down the stairs and see Mark already in the car waiting for me, looking handsome and fresh in his white shirt. We ride in silence for a few minutes while he finishes scanning the newspaper and then he turns to me and says “You look absolutely beautiful in your suit Mrs. O’ Connor” and then in a hushed tone “I can’t wait till your back in your birthday suit tonight.” I glance away slightly embarrassed and catch the eye of the driver who I’m sure heard everything and then look back at Mark who just grins that boyish grin I love and winks at me. We arrive at the hall and just before we are called on to the stage I whisper something into Mark’s ear making his eyes go wide but before he has a chance to respond we are called onto the stage and are met with thunderous applause.

“The Senator and his wife Mr and Mrs Mark O’ Connor!”. We hold hands as we mount the stage and I can feel his pulse still racing in the palm of his hand. Game face on now, it’s time to take over the world. Oh you want to know what I said to him? Well… that’s a shame because a lady never tells.

**********************************************************************

Hope you guys enjoyed it, let me know what you think in the comments section. Your feedback means the world to me!

Reni xx

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I have found it today, and I love it. It is very good written. Following her whispering, I'm going the cute, happy and lovely Way. She whispered him, that she is expecting his Baby.

      Delete
    2. Aww that is a super cute ending isn't it? Thanks for commenting! Xx

      Delete

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...