Saturday 25 January 2014

Hair Talk: Going Natural

So there's this huge disaster going on on my head at the mo', my hair at the back of my head seems to be breaking constantly and consistently and I feel at a massive loss for what to do! I will eventually post a picture of the shocking mess that is the back of my head but for now I'm too distressed just looking at it to even want to put it up in this post.

I don't understand what went wrong with that part of my head during my regimen and I've been racking my brain for ages trying to figure out what is causing such crazy amounts of breakage. It's the biggest "W" I can recall ever having my whole life! When I showed my mum and cousins they all said I was exaggerating and it looked worse in the picture but I don't even ever wear my hair down because of that. Maybe I'm pulling my bun too tight? Or maybe that awful relaxer I had years ago just destroyed my hair follicles in that area forever? You're probably wondering what the awful relaxer story is about...

Before I tell you about that mess look at THIS mess! I'm so distraught!
Well basically, a few years ago, I went to a salon to get my roots retouched, the stylist did her job and I went home all happy with my new straight hair. Not too long after, chunks of hair started falling off my head, like whole strands, but all in the area around my nape. It continued like this, just falling out and creating a growing bald batch from my nape towards the centre of my head until after a few weeks I had to cut all my hair off to keep it looking even and not like I had some disease! I was so distraught that I swore off relaxers, which is how I came to start texturising my hair for the last 8 years or so. Thinking about it now I should have just gone natural then! But I truly never saw the beauty in natural hair. Well now, about 8 years on, I'm not sure if my hair is falling out of my nape again or how bad it's going to get this time but I've made a decision now. I'm going natural! For real this time.

Me after attempting a bantu knot out a few months ago!
So I'm no longer 28 weeks post relaxer/texturiser, I'm now 7 months into my transition! I'm planning on transitioning for 12 to 18 months, I think. I could change my mind later but that's the plan for me right now. My hair is in braids at the moment but as soon as I take it out it's going to be back to taking care of it and learning to work with my two textures. Business as usual.

Is anyone else transitioning to natural? Drop me a comment, let's be transitioning sisters!

Reni xx

2 comments:

  1. Aww!! I am so sorry that happened. Hopefully this chapter of your hair journey will be more fun and productive :D I cannot say that I am transitioning but I am aiming to embrace all of me this year which may mean me not seeking help from relaxers...we'll see haha. But I am excited to see your progress pics if and when you post them :) Good luck!!

    Mo x // Within My Locket

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was such an awful experience and I'm excited to see what this new phase has in store for me, besides lots of protective styling! Lol. Ouuu, do it, do it, do it! I can't lie it hasn't been an easy task though! But I keep trying to focus on my end goal of lovely thick healthy hair and not lose too much hope when I look at my hair in the mirror!

      Delete

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...