Wednesday 26 March 2014

Hair Talk: Embracing the Afro Puff

Hey hey guys,

So it's been a couple of months since I did a hair post and that's mainly because after noticing the nasty "W" I had in my hair, I've more or less kept it wrapped up in braids and weaves since then.  If you didn't see the "W" then go to "Hair Talk: Going Natural" to find it. The sight of my hair was driving me up the wall and I really just wanted to chop it all off, in theory. So anyways, I thought I'd drop a little update about how things have been going since then.

Ever since I decided to go natural sometime last year, I've been less focused on the length of my hair and more focused on the health, especially since I've been trying to combat my problem areas. As a result, I've been trimming/cutting my hair A LOT more frequently. Let me just say, I used to be that girl that would trim literally once a year, if that. But in the last 6 months I've trimmed my hair twice already, which is a lot for me. It does however mean that my hair looks like it hasn't grown at all, am i destined to be stuck with 'almost' shoulder length hair for the rest of my life? I hope not.

No more W!
And very non-see-through!


My hair is doing A LOT better now though, just look at it! The "W" is more or less gone and the "see-throughness" is disappearing slowly but surely. I really think this has to do with my decision to go natural, honestly I do. And also the low manipulation of my protective styles meant there was no unnecessary playing with my hair every day. I just seem to be unable to resist trying out this style or that! If you look closely to my February picture, you'd notice that it does look a little scraggly in some places with some really long strands, the stylist really should have suggested a trim to get rid of those but  honestly, he seemed pretty incompetent on basic hair care. For instance, you've just taken out my braids and my hair has only been lightly finger detangles, what part of "You need to detangle my hair before you wash it." is so hard to understand? It was partly my fault for allowing him to go ahead with it and then he spent half an hour complaining about how my hair was tangled... I was so mad at him that I just wanted to be out of there fast, I didn't even assess my hair till I got home. I would definitely be trimming those ends soon.

So after my stint with hating my hair and wanting to hide it away, I started missing it because oddly enough, I do really like having my hair out. I feel more in control, lol. When I washed it I must say the natural roots now far outweigh the permed ends and I think I'm literally one or two more trims away from being fully natural. So much for my 18 month transition! Haha. It's been out all of about 4 days and I've been practising a few hairstyles already, a lot of them have turned out to be huge fails. Lol. But I did really like this flat twist headband, it was only my second attempt so there's definitely still room for improvement.



And also my "Bisi, daughter of the River" style, as my mum called it after she finished braiding it. Don't ask.

And of course, my afro puffs! Which was taken off of my snapchat. Lol
Can you tell I was feeling myself? Lol
I'm quite interested to see what the rest of this journey has in store for me. Who's with me?

Also if you have any blogs/ Youtube channels or whatever that you go to for style inspiration then please let me know in the comments section!

Reni xx

1 comment:

  1. I like naptural85 and mynaturalsistas on youtube.

    ReplyDelete

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...