Tuesday 1 April 2014

Gone Girl Review: Read with Reni

So the month is over now and that means the review of Gone Girl is now due. Let's hop straight to it shall we. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn is hands down the most intriguing book I've read this year. And I know you're probably thinking "Calm down Reni, you've only read like 2 books..." But that's not entirely true, I've read tons this year already, it's pretty much all I do with my time these days. I really don't want to give too much away because it's one of those books that's absolutely ruined if the plot is given away.

So what's it about? It's about a man Nick Dunne whose wife, Amy suddenly goes missing with no clues, mixed messages and of course the prime suspect is none other than her husband. It's told equally from both their vantage points with alternating chapters for each of them. It's so full of twists, turns, dead ends and horrifying betrayals and revelations and I think the writing is just brilliant.

"I've suffered betrayal with all five senses."- Amy Dunne

I'm not really a fan of mystery novels but this is definitely not your typical mystery, it doesn't follow the regular flow of events and I think that's what makes it all the better. I've never read any of Gillian Flynn's other novels and so I can't really say whether or not this type of literary genius is the norm for her or not but I would definitely be reading more in the near future.

It seems to have an underlying theme of "What do we really know about each other?" running through the entire prose not only between the husband and wife but through their relationships with everyone around them and that was a little scary for me and made me think quite deeply about how much I truly know about my friends. 

"Tell me. What can it hurt, tell me everything, because you and I can't go forward with this pretend story."- Nick Dunne

It tells a very true story about how very often, guys and girls alike pretend to be a different version of themselves to try and impress members of the opposite sex but of course this is never ever sustainable. Unfortunately, or not, we only know as much information about a person as they offer to give us and some times there's no way of verifying if this is the true version of themselves or one of their many characters.

"Pretty soon Cool Girl became the standard girl [....] Every girl was supposed to be this girl, and if you weren't, then there was something wrong with you."- Amy Dunne

It also shows how the dynamics of relationships change as time goes by and as people are confronted with things they never thought they would have to face.

"There's something disturbing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold."- Nick Dunne

All in all I'd describe the book as very realistic, it shows the flaws in human relationships and the lengths some people would go to to make sure that they are understood and appreciated. Of course not everyone goes to the extreme but I can't really say much more without ruining the book so I'd stop there.

Did anyone else read it? If you've written a review to it recently or in the past then feel free to link below or drop a comment and let me know what you thought of it.

The book for April is "On Black Sisters' Street" by Chika Unigwe. Buy it, download it, borrow it... Just make sure you're reading with Reni ^_^

Reni xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...