Monday 25 March 2013

Manchester Art Gallery: Canvas and Carrot Cake

Hello lovely people,

Of late I've been trying more and more to appreciate the little things in life and focus more on the present than worry about the past or what the future holds for me, I've also decided to try and explore more. I live in such a vibrant and busy city that it sometimes amazes me how little I've done here in the last few years. Aside from hitting up a few clubs and typically the same restaurants I really haven't seen that much of Manchester. So I decided I'm going to try and do more and see more of Manchester in possibly my last few months here. I started on Saturday by taking a little solo trip to the Manchester Art Gallery and it was amazing! I went partly because I didn't want to be alone at home but I also didn't want company if that makes any sense and also because it's free, I always find places like museums and galleries to be really calming because of the general ambience of reverie in them, they are perfect for just sitting and staring or for periods of deep reflections. It's such a beautiful gallery, I was pretty amazed by a lot of the work I saw there, oil on canvas is definitely my favourite form because the objects in the paintings always look so real! I love how artists can tell a story with just a picture, it's such an amazing talent! Gosh I can't wait to be rich and own a mansion and buy fancy artwork to decorate my house, haha. After the day there I was so nostalgic for New York and The Met Museum, still mad at myself for not giving a whole day to that amazing museum. Here's a few of the artwork that I saw and loved:

Extremely melancholic picture, I wonder if/when the father is coming back...

One of my favourites, it was such a massive painting as well. I love the colour and the detail, it apparently took the artist about a year to complete!

This one reminds me of Dan Humphrey and Serena Van Der Woodsen of Gossip Girl! Lol.

Venice!
I'm so upset, there's a painting (oil on canvas obviously) of the French Revolution on my phone but for some reason I can't transfer it to my laptop, it reminds me of the scene in Les Mis where the little boy was shot :( oops, spoiler alert!There was also an exhibition on showcasing the work of Raqib Shaw, and while all the colour and glitter makes his work very bright and electric looking, I personally just didn't like it very much. It doesn't make me feel anything, it doesn't make me want it in my future mansion, I just look at it because it's bright and very outspoken! 
Raqib Shaw
I sort of liked this one by him, it was a lot calmer than the others.


Afterwards I had a yummy slice of carrot cake and a hot chocolate before heading home to games night with the girls! White wine spritzers and a game of taboo always goes down well!

Ta ta,
Reni x

For some reason ALL my pictures were crooked! I hope this doesn't ruin the photographs too much. Also, unfortunately I can't remember the names of all the artists or the names of their works so they have not been properly referenced. I apologise immensely for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...