Monday 11 February 2013

More Than Just Chickens: Super Eagles Victorious


This weekend has been one of epic proportions in my life, both personally and in the media. I wouldn’t even know where to start describing to you the awesomeness! And the decision on what to focus on the most is unthinkably difficult!

1. I started writing a new series, a la Staying Single. (Yay!)
      2. Nigeria beat Burkina Faso.
      3. Rihanna sounded AMAZING at the grammy’s.
      4. I learnt some difficult life lessons about insecurities.
          5Nigeria won the AFCON
      6. Rihanna and Chris Brown… **sigh**
          7. Nigeria carried GOLD in the African Cup of Nations!!!!

I’m sure you can already tell what this post is going to be most focused on! When I first found out the news of our victory, I thought it was a lie. Surely someone was playing a cruel trick on my heart. You see I have never been one of those people that believe that nothing good comes out of Nigeria, and that we are a country with corruption so deep into the fabric of our nation that we have begun to rip at the seams. No no, not to say that the above is not true, but I have always been a proud Nigerian. Supporting quietly, wishing and praying but never truly believing that we could come together as a nation and achieve something truly phenomenal. I think this has something to do with being an Arsenal supporter, haven gotten my hopes up so many times only for Arsenal to fail me, imbibed in me a certain attitude towards football and the teams I supported; Don’t scream too loudly when you score or else when Ghana or Man-U win those supporters would never let you hear the end of it. Well guess what, today I am screaming and it’s never felt so good!

This will never not be funny! Lol.
A lot of people have at some point accused the Nigerian football team, the Super Eagles, of being no more than mere chickens. Yesterday they finally proved us all wrong. The Super Eagles gave me even more reason to be a proud Nigerian! They allowed us in their own way to regain our titles as the GIANTS of Africa! Not Mali, Not Burkina Faso, Not Ghana. N’tooo. #phuckyoteam, #phuckyocountry #phuckyooil, #therecanonlybeone! I can only imagine what the atmosphere would have been like when we won yesterday. Scores of women and children dancing in the street singing and clapping “When Jesus’ says yes! Nobody can say no!”  And many other chants of victory, grown men celebrating, wrecking havoc on the streets. Just a massive street party, owambe style! I’m so sad I wasn’t at home; enough uncles would have felt the need to dash me cash just because and Likwid would have been so live! One can only hope that this year would continue to be a year of victory for Nigeria and Nigerians everywhere.

I don’t believe I’ve ever written a post specifically dedicated to my country so thank you Super Eagles for granting me this opportunity and for allowing me bragging rights for the next 2 years! UP Naija!

I hope the prostitutes association are ready to make good on their promise. Smh.

Reni x

3 comments:

  1. you said you've started a new series?? I'm so excited. I really liked Staying Single so I've been waiting for you to start a new one x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I thought someone might pick up on that! Pressure! Hoping to get it started by Easter if not a bit earlier :) x

      Delete
  2. Easter is far! I was like oh yeah, I'll come back in a couple of days to read a story. But it's alright x

    ReplyDelete

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...