Thursday 31 January 2013

Hair Journey: February Goals


When I wrote this it was actually called "January Goals" but seeing as it's the end of the month I might as well make it February Goals! Lol. My biggest hair goal right now is to safely and effectively stretch my texturisers. First I must say, please forgive me if I mix up the terms relaxing and texturising. I always mean texturising if the post is about my hair right now. If it’s a story from the past I mean relaxing, lol. I’d try and be more careful about my choice of words. After reading countless hair blogs and forums I think I’ve theoretically learned a thing or two about my hair. One of these has been the benefits of stretching the time in between relaxers/texturisers. Although I didn’t know it was called stretching then, I usually stretch my texturisers for 3 months; this is because my hair is actually quite soft.

Side note: I remember when I was younger, hairdressers used to love to wash my hair and comment on how soft and babylike it was but at the same time resented having to cornrow it because they could never hold on tight enough without me screaming. I used to hate having my hair cornrowed! ‘Iya Segun’ would put me on a small stool and place my head between her knees and pin me there to keep me still. **sniff sniff**

But now that I’m all grown up there’s no more ‘Iya Segun’ to pin me down, thank goodness. Anyways, so I usually stretch my texturiser for 3 months, this time for the first time I’ve decided that I want to extend the length of my stretch. My hair is currently 14 weeks post with my last texturiser being on the 21st of October 2012. I wish I could show you pictures of my new growth and maybe even the three textures but my hair is currently in braids (How else did you think I’d stretch?!! Haha!), I decided to use braids as my protective style (since 12 weeks post) and I plan on stretching for 5 months (20 weeks) so that would be till the 10th of March 2013. I’m not sure how this is going to go, as I’d have never had so much new growth to deal with all my life! Disclaimer: If after I take out my braids (in approximately 4 weeks) my stretch is doing more harm than good to my hair, I would definitely texturise! But for now I’m excited! The biggest challenge for me right now is to still keep my hair moisturised while in the braids and not neglecting it like I usually would. Because I’ve been working out a lot (Check out my post on Insanity here) I’ve felt like I need to wash my braids more often than the 2 weeks or so. (I’d be honest, before this install I has NEVER washed my braids before!) But the build up of sweat can’t be doing any wonders for growth and health! I’d do a post soon on how I moisturise my braids and also how I washed them.

For now, you can enjoy some pictures of the different styles I’ve tried! I can't wait to get my hair out of these braids so I can see my new growth.




Ta ta for now.

Reni x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...