Tuesday 29 January 2013

Journey to Healthy Hair!


Hey guys!

This is a repost from my other blog, I feel like it's a bit too personal to be there! No idea why though, anyways... Enjoy!

One of my New Year’s resolutions was to take better care of my hair. Yes, I jumped on the healthy hair journey (HHJ) bandwagon, to be honest I started my journey this time last year but I can’t say I really stuck with it for long enough. I DID start to incorporate little things like moisturising and sealing as well as using less heat but that’s about all that stuck. Sometimes it’s just so much easier to throw all you know out the window and put your hair in a weave, not even so much as moisturising it for 6 weeks! But enough is enough! I think this decision came from the fact that my hair actually did grow! It also became much thicker and everyone who has known me all my life with my short, wispy hair was pretty impressed! My mum especially! I think she might be joining me on this journey, whoop whoop.

So here are a few facts about my hair:
I believe I’m a type 4b, but really and truly, I’m not sure. I just know I have ‘regular’ afro kinky hair.

I don’t relax my hair anymore, only texturise. BUT as a result my hair currently has three textures; relaxed ends (which I’m chopping off inch by inch), texturised in the middle, and then fully natural new growth. It’s a mess really!

I’ve done a big chop (B.C) before; it was after an AWFUL relaxer experience at the salon. More details on that later, trust me; the experience is worthy of a whole post to itself.

Hmmm, what else can I add... Oh yeah! Pictures of my hair since I started my journey:

 December 2011:
December 2011

December 2012:
December 2012


Although there was growth, I went from neck to almost shoulder length, the ends of my hair are in pretty bad shape. Truthfully I know exactly what happened, this picture is the reason why I will never again take out a weave, texturise my hair then install a new weave in the space of three days again! I’ve had some bad experiences with chemicals in my hair, one would think I’d just go natural, but I can’t. Not yet. I’m not giving up on my texturised hair yet! So anyways I had to go to the salon and get a cut/trim to tidy up my ends a little bit. Looking at the picture below I wonder if i should have let the hairdresser take off a bit more maybe? I'd decide on my next texturiser.

So January 2013, we are resuming the hair journey, this time actively taking care of my hair! And my main goal is thickness!
January 2013

Who else is on a journey for healthier, longer, thicker hair? Join me! Join me! Join me! Hehe.

P.S: I apologise for the poor quality of some of the pictures, they were not taken with the intention of being part of a hair journey portfolio!

Reni x

3 comments:

  1. Ha, I have been on this healthy hair journey for a while.

    I tried to go natural but will be self-texlaxing my hair tomorrow.

    The key is to keep it simple, moisturize, condition and protect.

    Good luck to us all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, it can be such a struggle sometimes. Omg good luck self texlaxing, I'd never have the courage to do my own relaxers! Too scared id burn all my hair off! lol. Have you been doing it for a while? x

      Delete

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...