Thursday 16 October 2014

October Snippets from The Nigerian Theatre and Film Scene.

So I started thinking about writing this post and putting it up sometime soon (read procrastinating) until I found out that today would have been the great Fela Anikulapo Kuti's 76th birthday and then I just knew I had to quit being lazy and put it up today. You're probably wondering what Fela has to do with this post and the answer is not a whole lot BUT, this past month I've been enjoying a lot more of the Nigerian theatre and films scene, a scene that I wholly love immersing myself in.

A lot of Lagosians, especially people that recently moved back, always complain that there's nothing to do in Lagos but go out and drink. While it's true that drinking IS one of our favourite past times, it's definitely not the only thing to do. I often tell people that complain that if they just TRY they will find something to pique their interest. My interest was definitely piqued by the arts scene and here's a couple of things I've done this month.


I went to Eko Hotel for the premier of "October 1" a 'psychological thriller played against the backdrop of Nigeria's Independence Day'. This movie was SO brilliant, it wasn't initially what I expected but it definitely went beyond my expectations and took my expectations of Nigerian movies to a whole new level. It was produced and directed by Kunle Afolayan who also plays a role in the film and honestly I don't know a single person that has watched it and not immediately loved it. Seeing such high quality from Nigerians, by Nigerians, for Nigerians and the world literally makes my heart swell with pride. That's not to say the film has no flaws though but why pick at the flaws when you can simply appreciate the beauty.

In fact the movie was so good that I've already seen it twice! The second time actually ON independence day and was at a film festival in Lagos towards the end of September called Lights, Camera, Africa! which is actually in its 4th year now. I went with a friend who was keen on seeing the movie and the viewing ended in a Q&A session with the director and one of the main characters. The Q&A really raised some important questions not only about the film but on how Nigeria should move forward on it's 54th year of independence. One thing that really struck a chord with me was when we were talking about the tribes general disdain for each other, Mr. Sadiq Daba who plays Detective Wazuri stood up and declared "I am a Hausa man, my wife is Yoruba, we have children. If you split Nigeria where do I go? Where does my wife go? Where do my children go? Would you so thoughtlessly split up my family?" Food for thought.


Well enough on the seriousness and implications of "October 1", on Saturday I went with my mum to the final showing of a stage play called "The Wives" written by Ahmed Yerima and produced by Kemi Lala Akindoju and it was HILARIOUS! No like seriously, I was crying real life tears of laughter. The play starred the dons of the game like Joke Silva, Jide Kosoko, Kate Henshaw and Iretiola Doyle, with Lala Akindoju also playing the role of the youngest wife "iyawo kekere". I was super excited at the end when I got to meet Ms. Akindoju and I really hope they come back again over Christmas because I would definitely watch it again. I got some stills from the play though, here they are:





So I've told you guys about things that happened in the past, this is something that is STILL happening, the release of a documentary on the life of this musical genius and Nigerian legend, Fela! It's called "Finding Fela" and it premiered at The Shrine on Sunday and is now out in Silverbird cinemas. I already know what I'm going to do this weekend... 


What have you guys watched recently or are you going to watch soon? Preferably something steeped in African culture. Feel free to drop book titles as well, I'm currently reading "We Need New Names" by Zimbabwean author NoViolet Bulawayo.

P.S. Chimamanda's book turned film "Half of a Yellow Sun" deserves an honorary mention even though it didn't happen this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...