Tuesday 5 November 2013

The Phantom and The Sushi

You know that moment when you realise the massive backlog of things you have to do and you have no idea how you're going to get it all done on time? Well I'm having one of those moments right now realising how much backlog there is on this little old blog. It's so weird to think that I haven't posted about two of the most amazing experiences of the summer! Basically my best friend Flaky came to spend two weeks of her summer with me in London, sadly it wasn't the best timing because she came in August and I was in the full throes of my dissertation and not in the mood to go out much. Saying all that though there was NO WAY I was missing out on our two favourite and now compulsory things to do together in any city! Theatre and sushi! Last year when we were in New York together we saw Chicago on Broadway and went to Ruby Foo's for sushi (I think that's what it was called!) which were both amazing and so this year we knew it had to be something even better!


Her Majesty's Theatre! Housing the famous musical The Phantom of The Opera. Neither of us knew much about the plot besides the obvious and this ended up being perfect because we were thrilled, surprised and shocked all in equal measure throughout the show! I loved the soundtrack so much that it became my background music for the next 3 weeks after the show, I'm sure I can now sing the entire musical from start to finish albeit mostly off key! The voices of the actors were beyond amazing, even more so than I expected and everyone knows the difference between an amazing show and an average show is the delivery of the songs.

These two photos were taken outside the theatre. The picture on the right really sums up a lot of the story. Young damsel is bewitched by sexy but terrifying man in a mask.
After the exhilarating show which we both agreed was miles better than Chicago (London- 1, New York- nil). For sushi we had to decide between Zuma and Sushi Samba but in the spirit of tryong something new, we head to Liverpool Street to try out the much praised Sushi Samba on the 38th floor of the Heron Tower. I will admit I've never been in a place so high up in all my time at London (the eye doesn't count) and so seeing the skyline stretching for miles and miles beneath us from the glass elevator as we went up was pretty breathtaking.


My date was on her phone pretending to be uninterested by the amazing views and amazing service we were receiving (I know she was bursting inside with joy really!)

I honestly think it is safe to say that the sushi was as breathtaking or even more so than the views! 

When we were served up with this bad boy of a platter, Flaky promptly put her phone down and we practically inhaled the whole lot! If only I could remember what it was called. It's no exaggeration when I say that every single one of those bad boys exploded with flavour as soon as I sunk my teeth into them. Typing this right now on an empty stomach is making me really crave some awesome sushi, I'm sure there's somewhere in Manchester that can satisfy my craving! The drinks were a bit more on the average side and at about £10 each we were a bit pissed that we hadn't just gone with soft drinks and put more money towards sushi! But never mind, there shall certainly be a next time! 

They are still pretty though! Just not completely worth it in my opinion.
On our way out we stopped by the bar just to check it out and were greeted by the most amazing tree inside! Looking at this picture reminds me so much of autumn, there's just something about orange trees that makes my heart sing! Haha. I even saw a real life one in York the other time, but more on that later.


In the theatre and sushi battle, I think it's safe to say London took this round, sorry NYC! Better luck next time. Please please someone, recommend me a yummy sushi place to try out in Manchester, I'd be eternally grateful!

Reni x

P.S. You know that dissertation I kept sacrificing everything for? Well the jury's back in and it was all worth it! I'm graduating with a Distinction baybay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...