Wednesday 8 May 2013

As a Real Yoruba Girl: Aso-Oke Love

Okay I know what this looks like, you think I have once again desserted you and neglected my baby but I promise I haven't! This time I have a legit excuse, I've been out of the country and without wifi for about a week or so; I went to the heart of Ondo Kingdom, Nigeria for my granddads' funeral and though it was generally  time of extremely mixed emotions let's focus on the not so sad shall we? My Warrior Angel would have wanted it no other way!

It's been more than a while since I last dressed up in the full Yoruba attire but this past week I must have worn all the different types of aso-oke (top cloth) in Ondo! from the lovely purple and pink in alari, to the subtle gold in sanyan and the deep blue of etu!

Pink, pearls and alari, excuse the messy room in the background, that is what happens when you put six females together AND make them rush to get dressed quickly everyday! This is a typical yoruba traditional outfit, the head piece is called a gele, the top is a buba and the wrap around skirt is called an iro. I'm missing my iborun in this picture which is another piece of cloth, the same as the gele that is wrapped around your waist but you can kind of see it on my Aunt in the background. Trust me when I say there is no rushing this outfit! The gele (head piece) will be tied to perfection!

Gold, corals and sanyan and the massive necklace around my neck is called an 'igbaku'. I think it's only used at funerals if I remember rightly.

My brothers and cousin in sanyan agabadas (the long gown over the trousers), filas (men's hats) and igbakus. Those agbadas are heavy! I never realised how much so until I tried using one as a duvet!

Cute lil cuz in his own mini agbada
The girls in lilac and purple, honeslty I don't even remember what this outfit was for!

Sleeping in church. tut-tut!
After this trip I have a really deep love for aso-oke now! I always hated wearing it before but I think I have been well conditioned to it, I've even gone as far as daydreaming on what my aso-ebi (family cloth) for my wedding will be made out of and what colour it will be! just have to learn to tie my own gele so that poor Aunty Toju doesn't have to tie about 20 every morning the next time the whole family gathers God bless her soul! Once again I'm sorry I left you for so long! Hopefully you see that I haven't just ditched, thanks to all my readers for always coming back and to my favourite anonymous commenter and all the readers in Russia, thank you especially!

P.S: Posting this month might continue to be sparse as I prepare for summer exams but I will try very hard to not leave for too long again! Blogging is a nice study break. :)

Reni x

5 comments:

  1. Yaaaaaay!! A post! Finally!! Loved this one as I am also an Ondo girl! Yaba Local Government stand up!! LOL!

    You looked lovely and I'm so happy you were able to celebrate your grandfather's life!

    So you mean you ONLY just started daydreaming about the aso-ebi for your wedding? Rookie. Haha! I've been daydreaming since my 5 five year-old self laid hands on a copy of Ovation with weddings, etc. *sigh*

    All the best with exams!

    Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha Ondo girls unite! Thank you so much. Yes oh! I realise I'm very behind but now it's difficult to get the thoughts of colour schemes and the like out of my head!! Ovation and their wedding specials, steady oppressing us 'normal' ones! Haha

      Delete
  2. Aw! Love this post. The colours. The outfits. Funnily enough I was contemplating wearing trad for graduation... :)

    It seems as though you had a wonderful time celebrating his life. I'm glad. Any chance the celebrations came back with you in the form of a box of gala? No? Pity... lol

    Mo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Unfortunately not! Omg really?? Like full iro and buba or just a nice ankara up and down? Either way you'd definitely be the belle of the hall(?) hehe.

      Delete
    2. Haha I was thinking more along the lines of a dress made out of ankara!

      Delete

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...