Tuesday 20 January 2015

Lunchtime at Bistro 7

So honestly, I can't tell you I know what has been going on with me and blogging these last few months. It seems that after like 4 years of doing it, I just ran out of steam one day and quit. Not only blogging even, I know I don't post my short stories on here a lot but I haven't even felt compelled enough to put pen to paper recently and produce any form of creative writing, I just don't get it. Well actually, I know part of the reason I guess... I was getting quite disheartened by it because I stopped looking at blogging like a fun and relaxing way to let out steam but rather as a popularity contest almost. I look on other blogs that I don't feel have the most original or the best content with thousands more page views than my little old space and I sit and wonder what or who I'm really doing all this for anyway...

Well, the truth is, being envious never got anyone anywhere and so I'm going back to my 'roots' of blogging about whatever I want, whenever I want. No fancy schedules, no nothing. Just me, so help me God. I'm looking to rekindle the flame of the original love and passion and so what better way to start than with food?? If you know me, you know eating is one of my favourite pastimes. I'm going to throw us all the way back to last year, sometime in late November when I played hookey from work to go with my mum to a conference and then ended up having lunch with her afterwards. We went to Bistro 7 on Kofo Abayomi, it's number 273 and is on the left hand side of the road, shortly after Intercontinental.



It's a bistro/ cafe/ restautant and it has a lot of obscure and interesting paintings and wall hangings. The light fitting in the picture below is essentially made out of cutlery and the solid red wall with the painting gives this part of the room some character.





Incidentally this was during MasterCard Restaurant Week and we thought it would be a good idea to order from that menu seeing as most of the dishes we were interested in were sort of on there anyways. For starters we had the Dynamite Prawns and Calamari and the Mozarella Sticks and Suya Chicken Gourjons



The calamari was really good, not the cold, rubbery, flavourless pieces you get as some places. The batter was well seasoned and the sauce on the dynamite prawns gave it a nice kick too. The mozarella and suya chicken was exactly what it said on the plate, I wasn't over or underwhelmed.

For our mains I ordered the Chicken Cordon Bleu and my mum had their Seafood Spaghetti. These were both divine. I've had a taste of the Cordon bleu on someone else's plate during one of my first visits there but having it all to myself was a lot more satisfying, the mushroom sauce was excellent, and coming from me who really hates mushrooms, that's saying a lot. The mash potatoes were also nice and creamy, I wouldn't ordinarily comment on the mash until a friend of mine told me she was served what can only be described as a watery potato soup when she asked for mash potatoes at a different restaurant. 



My mum declared her dish to be 'delicious' which is a VERY big deal. When someone has eaten in all sorts of top restaurants at the world, I think their opinion is very valid. She said the spaghetti was her favourite part because it hadn't been overcooked and soggy, it had just the right amount of firmness. Also the chef was very generous with his seafood so more points over there. Also I know it looks like a very small portion in the picture but there's quite a bit in there. We ended up sharing both dishes because why go out in a two if not for sharing?

For dessert mum had the Chocolate and Banana Crepe and I had a Berry Panna Cotta with a caramel sauce. Before the desserts arrived we were both incredibly full and not very keen on them but seeing as we were going to be paying for them in any case, we let the waitress bring them. 



Oh random story about the waitress, when she came to clear our starters, she tried to wipe the cutlery we had already used and put it back on the table. You should have seen the look my mum gave her, I almost died of laughter. I can't wait till I master those stares mums give that just make everybody know to cease and desist.

Story over, I really enjoyed the panna cotta it was super sweet, but I'm not a huge fan of the chocolate and bananas combo. Overall I was pretty impressed with everything I had at Bistro 7 that lunch time, the fact that the entire three course meal was only 5000 each was also a pretty nice added bonus. Here are my ratings...

Food- 8/10
Service- 6/10
Ambience- 7/10
Overall- 7/10

Have any of you been to Bistro 7? What did you think about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...