Tuesday 18 November 2014

An Evening of Dance: "Fight!'

So this past weekend was quite a busy one for me. While I was watching Interstellar with Deola, right before we went to Coral Blue, I got a phone call from a good family friend of mine Namir, who had extra tickets to a dance production taking place at Muson Centre called "Fight". It was a super tight squeeze but anyone that knows me knows that I love stage productions and so I plotted and rearranged my day and made it to Muson Centre just in time. When I think of arts, I rarely remember contemporary dance to be one of the best forms of conveying messages and feelings but this was a nice reminder.


The theme of the production was "fight" obvious huh... And there were various scenarios pulled from the theme. I don't have pictures from every single dance because there were a lot of lighting effects and my camera couldn't always keep up.

 The very first dance was to Breathe Me by Sia, which is a song that I lovee! If you haven't heard this song before then stop what you're doing and YouTube it right now! Well... When you're done reading it. Depending on my current state of mind the song has the ability to move me to tears and even though I was very chipper that day, watching the dancers move so fluidly and gracefully definitely brought a tear to my eye.


This dancer moved to a spoken word piece about fighting with ones inner demons and using positive thoughts to conquer the negative being that is in almost all of us. It was quite an emotive piece and I liked that it was different to the rest.


They also performed to Give Me Love by Ed Sheeran and it was really really cool. I got some nice shots of one of the couples although this one was performed by almost all if not all the dancers.








The next one was about a girl in an abusive relationship and was by far my favourite because the dancers were SPECTACULAR. They were soo connected with each other and the music they danced to was completely wordless which made it even more powerful. They also used the lighting to convey the mood and it was red when times were bad and blue when things were better.




There was also a dance about traditional dancers in an Igbo village fighting for the hand of the King's daughter. This one was hilarious, all the dancers really got into character as villagers and the choreography was excellent too. The costumes were also quite colourful and fun.




I unfortunately couldn't stay till the end, even though I pushed it and stayed an extra 30 minutes longer than I had planned. All in all it was an interesting performance and I'm grateful to Namir for remembering me :)

My only negative comment is that I wish it was more of a connected story rather than a bunch of stories with the same theme because this would have drawn me in a lot more but it was good nonetheless! Someone needs to tell me how exactly people advertise for these things though because I almost never hear about it until the day of the production and then I'm fortunate enough to be able to score some tickets.

Are there any good websites or people to follow on social media platforms to get information on upcoming theatre productions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...