Tuesday 26 August 2014

Sunday Brunch a la Chef Fregz

I've been having the most annoying time with my laptop and my blogger account. It seems when my laptop decides to function normally, blogger decides it's not going to upload any pictures or even open my "New Post" tab. But today it seems God is on my side and both are finally in sync!

So I know my last few posts have been all about food but incase you haven't noticed, that's kinda what I mostly do! Going out to eat is actually a legit hobby of mine. So imagine my excitement when I heard that Lagos' very own Chef Fregz was having a pop up at GET Arena a few weeks ago, well kinda like a month ago, I know... I'm the worst. Infact excited is an understatement because I had heard SO much about his prowess in the kitchen and his talents for making unusual combos taste so awesome. 

So on that fateful Sunday I popped on over with a couple of friends ready to let my tastebuds come alive at his burger "The Fregzinator". Sadly, just as we got there, there were complaints that the meat tasted slightly off and being the great chef he is, he removed that option from his menu. I was severely disappointed. Actually so saddened that I decided I wasn't eating anymore. I became that annoying friend who 'tries' something off everyone else's plate instead, haha. My friends love me really. All three of them opted for "The Breakfast Club" instead which was described as 

"Juicy buttermilk brined chicken pieces, fried and then coated with a corn meal flour and cajun spice mix, fried to crispy juicy goodness. Served with 5 spice french toast. Served with a roasted bell pepper sauce and maple chilli syrup."

The Breakfast Club
Writing the description out again is making my tummy rumble, it all sounds so excellent and decadent. Like food for the gods. Lol. I stole a slice of french toast and a few bites of chicken from their plates so I wouldn't miss out on all the yummy goodness!

I'm a slightly fussy eater and my friend Tomi and I consider ourselves to be huge food critics (in our minds). So for us this was a mini adventure, we dug straight into the french toast but it came up short. I was soo disappointed, it felt like someone had put the bread in the egg, forgot it in there for an eternity and then hastily fried it. That is, it was waaaaay too eggy and I don't even like eggs. I kept my thoughts to myself and moved on to the chicken which was slightly better as long as you didn't get stuck with a piece like the breast, those are already dry enough normally but with the coating they were super dry. I had some wings from someone else's plate which turned out to be much better though. 

Sadly, this cocunut and pineapple smoothie which was just off the regular menu was my favourite thing of the day. I was pretty sad that 'The Breakfast Club" fell so short of expectations but I really do believe that if only I could have tried that burger, I would have been sold! But who really knows these things ey?


Well, till the next time Chef Fregz does another pop up or similar event, I will remain on the fence. Here's to hoping next time would be the best time!

Have you ever tried something else by Chef Fregz or were you at this event? Tell me... Am I being too harsh? Leave me a comment, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have You Seen These Yet?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...